Sunday, 24 February 2008

Back to Reality

Well I am back home after three weeks in beautiful Barbados. It was wonderful to be there again even though the weather was unsettled and we had rain at some stage most days. It was very windy too, almost mini hurricanes some days, but it was hot and sunny in between and I have brought home a great sun tan to remind me of my time there. We went to a Garden Party at St. James Church in Holetown and this photograph shows the bric a brac tent. The lettering had been made with seed pods. There was a floral display in the church, quite different from the displays here in our Churches. The colours were wonderful. It was a lovely day with a mixture of colourful people and local artisans with their stalls decked out with their various wares. The event was opened by Sir Cliff Richard who has a home on the Island but we arrived too late to see him. The Barbados Police Band was playing in the Bandstand and the atmosphere was great. We had tea and cakes and spent a pleasant couple of hours soaking up the atmosphere. It reminded me of the summer Church Fetes my mother used to take me to as a child. The thing I love most about Barbados is that inspite of all the tourist things and bars and nightclubs it still retains a quaint, innocent charm that I find most endearing and makes me want to return there time and time again.




No comments: