Monday, 29 September 2008

Beautiful Britanny

Just back from Beautiful Brittany again. I have been on the annual Pilgrimage to La Foire de St. Michel held at Brest, Brittany, France. I look forward to this trip every year. The weather was glorious when we left Plymouth on Friday morning. Once on board ship we always make a bee line to the Restaurant for a long leisurely lunch of the 'Glorious Brittany Ferries Buffet'. I adore sea food and the choice on this buffet is amazing. After over-indulging for about a couple of hours we made our way to the Cinema and watched 'Mama Mia'. I had already seen it but I love it so much I could watch it every day. It is fantastic and has a great feel good factor. I find myself smiling all the way through it. But I am biased I LOVE the Greek Islands and this film brings back all the wonderful memories of my holidays there during the 1980's.
We were up bright and early Friday morning to search out the textiles and by 10.30 a.m. had found loads of stuff and we were then able to relax a bit and enjoy the rest of the day with a bit of sight seeing. Brest is a very interesting city. It was very badly damaged during World War II and there are a lot of new buildings integrated with the old. Our Hotel 'LE VAUBAN' is set in the very best position for the Markets. It has a nightclub in the basement and is not the quietest of places. Its Restaurant serves the most delicious food and it is the greatest place for people watching. Its clientel is truly cosmopolitan. The atmosphere is very very French - noisy and bustling - waiters rushing around and people coming and going. Saturday night is Disco night and we were in for a very noisy time. I don't think I slept at all - when the music finished at 4 a.m. the people turned out on to the pavements and were laughing and talking for what seemed an endless time. When they had gone the Market Traders started to arrive and set up their stalls for the days' trading. Even though I know that I am not going to sleep properly for a couple of days I still wouldn't miss it for the world.
One of the highlights of the trip is to be able to spend an hour at ROSCOFF before we board ship. It was another glorious day on Sunday and we were so looking forward to being able to take even more photographs of this charming little town but this time in glorious sunlight. When the coach stopped we were told we only had a 15 minutes stop. We were so disappointed but the sailing time was earlier than usual because of the tide. It was out a long way and still receeding so time was of the essence. I managed to take a lot more photographs of the type of things I usually spot. Piles of rust and rope and fishing boats.

I have masses of this type of photograph stored on my computer. I use them as inspiration for my textile works.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: