I chose to work with ammonites for the first phase of quilts. The image I used was one of an ammonite found at Lyme Regis in the late 1800's. The first quilt with the single ammonite is a transfer paint print on to a piece of neutral coloured fabric. I did all the machine stitching and quilting and then rollered acrylic paint all over it. I then highlighted areas with gold paint and crayon. The hand stitching and beading was done after the paint had dried. The second one 'Triplets' was again a transfer print but this time I used a piece of mono-printed fabric for the background. I found this in a box of City and Guilds samples and as it looked a bit like rocks and sky I thought it would do the job. The ammonites were overdrawn, then stitched and then painted with metallic textile paint. I have been working along the coast so these first ones were based on Lyme Regis.
This quilt shows the change in colour along the coast towards Devon with its wonderful red cliffs. It is strip pieced using my own hand dyed fabrics. The little ammonites are transfer prints again.
I used to spend all my school holidays with my cousins at Exmouth in Devon when I was a child. We used to have such fun in a simple way. Picnics on the red sandy beaches sitting under the towering cliffs and also on Dartmoor when sudden squalls of rain meant everything had to be packed up quickly. Swimming in the icy rock pools on the Moor on better days. We all used to pile into my Uncle John's old Ford - I'm talking 1950's here - I was always afraid it wouldn't make it up the hills. 'Oh Happy Days'.