Tuesday, 27 January 2009

Showing the ravages of time

I have realised that I have not posted very much about what has consumed much of my time for the past 30 years. I have had a love affair with Antique Costume and Textiles that has stood the test of time. While I don't now collect everything I can get my hands on there are still occasions when the hairs on the back of my neck stick up and I get very agitated indeed!!
In the thirty years I have been dealing with these things some wonderful and extraordinary things have slipped through my fingers to pay bills. If only, if only I could get them back. This photograph is of what must have been the most beautiful wedding dress, altered probably to make a ball dress later on. It is made of the most scrumptious silk satin and is trimmed with hand pleated silk chiffon ruffles. There are hand made silk chiffon rosebuds at the bosum and the sleeves and neckline are trimmed with hand-embroidered scalloped edged silk satin. Quite a labour of love. It is over 100 years old and showing the ravages of time. The silk is cracking and there is foxing to the silk chiffon sleeves. BUT someone loves it as I have listed it on Ebay and within an hour someone had bid on it.
I have been listing things on Ebay for about a week now as I have so much stuff and so little money!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, our house is about to undergo a major refit and I need to get rid of a lot of things. I have therefore decided that I will put a few things on this Blog for sale. I have boxes and boxes of interesting buttons and trims and lace and I know these things are sought after by Textile Artists so watch this space for unusual and interesting things that could be just as happy with you as they have been with me.

It has been brought to my attention by one of my readers that 'I have loud music on my Blog'. I am sorry if this upsets anyone and I can understand that perhaps 'The Killers' don't equate with an Antique Textile and Costume Dealer but I am Human (forgive the pun) and have a very eclectic taste in music. I have more faces than Big Ben and a loft full of Hats. Sometimes I need to be quiet and thoughtful and sometimes I need a good blast of rock'n'roll or reggae. Inside there is a Rock Chick/Goth trying to get out and a Tango Dancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I could start again wouldn't I have FUN.,
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

BusyLizzie said...

Hi Lizzie, what a coincidence.. we are also having work done on the house in the spring.. and need to downsize the stock.. have listed some on ebay too! (and put a few tempting bits on the blog..) Great minds think alike!

also.. LOVE the music.. and you may have noticed I have rather eclectic taste too! Have a good day! Lizzie (t'other one!)

BusyLizzie said...

Hi Lizzie, what a coincidence.. we are also having work done on the house in the spring.. and need to downsize the stock.. have listed some on ebay too! (and put a few tempting bits on the blog..) Great minds think alike!

also.. LOVE the music.. and you may have noticed I have rather eclectic taste too! Have a good day! Lizzie (t'other one!)

Chubby Mummy said...

I love the music! Just what I needed this morning! Nice Blog!