Monday, 2 March 2009

Foraging in France

I have been on a foraging trip to France with Linda. We left Portsmouth for St.Malo last Friday evening for a 24 hour shopping trip. This was our first trip this year and we were excited about going back. We were booked on the beautiful 'Pont Aven' with its deco era inspired fixtures and fittings. As usual we dumped our bags in the cabin and headed for the Restaurant to enjoy the marvellous food on offer there. After eating we had a quick look around the shop and went to bed. The crossing was absolutely fantastic. The sea was flat calm (such a relief as I am a paranoid sailor) and our cabin was in such a position that we heard no engines and slept like babies. I think the red wine helped as well.!!
We had a very successful day's shopping and found ourselves some new places. We were on a new route this time with St. Malo as our starting point. The weather was wonderful. Bright, warm sunshine which made the day even more enjoyable.
A friend who lives in France had found these lovely tickings and name tapes for us. She had left them with a Brocanteur in Fougeres for us. It was market day in Fougeres on Saturday and the main streets were closed to traffic. It took us a couple of times round the town to find somewhere to park. Thankfully we had taken a travelling bag on wheels with us which made it easier for us to get the textiles from the shop to the car.

We were especially please to get these initial tapes. It is becoming harder to find these now.

This basket is full of the most pretty cotton bias ribbon. This was a great find. We have hundreds of meters of this lovely stuff. We were quite tired when we got back to the ship and yes, we dumped our bags and went to the Restaurant where we had a super meal, ate too much, drank half a bottle of wine each and headed back to bed for an early night!! Nice work ehh!!!!!!!!!! Once back in the UK the hard work begins. Days of washing, dyeing, ironing, packing, pricing. All this has to be done before things can be offered for sale. It is worth every minute. I have packaged up all the lovely pieces of toile de jouy and other fabrics as well as the buttons that we found in Fougeres. The washing has been started and hopefully I will get this done and things dyed before the end of the week.
Linda and I are going down to Cornwall again to Cowslip Workshops over the Easter Week-end and are working hard to have lots of new French stock to take. We have another quick trip booked for the third week in March and hope to find a lot more French Textile Treasures.


BusyLizzie said...

Glad you had a good trip & smooth crossing.
Lizzie x

Hens Teeth said...

Oh Lizzie, what a trip, what a buzz.

lizzie said...

Yes, it was a good trip. Going again in 3 weeks time. It becomes addictive.

fontainefleurie said...

sounds you had a very good time! It is so fun wandering around these markets, specially if you found worthfull products for your shop. I still have to found the markets around our 2nd home in France. We will be there back again end of April. xDorie

btw Like your slides on the leftside.

Linda said...

Great blog Lizzie I enjoyed the trip all over again...have just started to iron the most delicious sheet...90 inches wide fine linen with lovely hemstitching did'nt we do well