Thursday, 19 March 2009

Normal Service Resumed

I am now doing a Happy Dance as my laptop has been restored to working order - I have missed it. This photograph shows the object that Linda found when she was turning out the other week. I went into raptures when I saw it and she very kindly gave it to me. THANK YOU Linda. It looks like a little hand drill, but instead of a drill bit at the end it has a little hook. I am sure all those textile people that read this blog will know what it is. We had a discussion about this tool in class one day when we were making cords on the machine. It is not made now so I consider myself extremely lucky to own it. I have yet to make some cords but look forward to playing with it when I have a little more time.

On Monday I went to my local quilting group meeting. Lesley Coles was the speaker and she gave us a wonderful illustrated talk on her work in Mongolia. She went to Mongolia in 2006, in the wake of American Quilter Maggie Ball who had been there in 2004, to teach Mongolian women quilters how to draft patterns. It was a very inspiring story. The idea was to teach the women how to make quilts and other items in order that they could sell them to raise funds for themselves and the group. It has been a real success story and they have progressed from renting a basement room with no natural light to buying their own premises with the help of funds raised for them in America. They now have a place to work and a shop to sell their textiles from. This is called NEW WAY OF LIFE MONGOLIAN QUILTING CENTRE. Further information about this project is available from http://www.dragonflyquilts.com/
In the afternoon she gave us a workshop on drafting the block for a Mongolian Knot. The picture above is what I managed to produce. I have not got a mathematical mind, and drafting blocks is not one of my favourite past-times!! Something seems to happen to my brain after a while and it goes into safe mode!! I do not have a very good sense of direction as my friend Linda will vouch for and I get lost very easily. Going around in circles is much more comfortable for me!!! Anyway back to the point, I managed to get my block finished, and although I have no idea what I am going to do with it, it was a worthwhile exercise and I enjoyed every minute of the day. Lesley intends to go back to Mongolia some time this year, it certainly looks beautiful. Mongolia means 'land of the blue sky' and all her photographs showed lots of blue sky and verdant green pastures. The interesting thing I learnt about Mongolia is that it is three times as big as France and has the population of Birmingham!!!!!!!! Plenty of space for everyone.


One of the other things that sends me into raptures is lichen and tree bark. I know it's sad, isn't it!! I must get a life. Yesterday my DH armed himself with his chainsaw and set about cutting logs. Of course I had to put a halt to the proceedings in order to take photographs.
Tomorrow evening I am sailing to France with Linda for a quick 24hour run around.! We are meeting our friend Ticky who lives there and we hope to find lots of goodies to bring home to sell at Ilminster Textile Fair on 1st April.

2 comments:

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

Hope your DH is okay!
And that you will find lots of lovely French Treasures to sell...
Debbie Moss

lizzie said...

Yes, he's fine thank-you. We had a good shopping trip and found a 19th century corset!! and lots of lovely linen.