Thursday, 14 May 2009

More Motoring Adventures

Tomorrow I am going to be driving to RNAS Culdrose, Cornwall to bring my No. 1 Grandson home. He has been there this week completing an intensive driving course. He had his test today and failed!! He has the opportunity to take it again tomorrow at 1.15 p.m. However this means that he will miss his lift back home. SOS Mum and Granny!!!!! Public transport back from this area of Cornwall to Dorset is ridiculously complicated. Taxi costing £30 from Culdrose to Redruth and then train from Redruth to Castle Cary which is miles from home and would involve going there to pick him up costing probably in the region of £70. So it is far easier to go straight to Cornwall to fetch him. I used to drive past Culdrose on my way to stay with a friend when I used to work at the Fleamarket in Truro in the 1980's. Of course then it was a one-way journey - tomorrow I have to drive there and back. According to the AA it takes 3 hours and 28 minutes. They haven't of course allowed for any 'Lizzie Detours'. When I looked at the map to re-acquaint myself with the route I realised that when I volunteered for the job I had forgotten about half of the journey.!!!!!!!!! Never mind, nothing is too much trouble for this boy. We have just learnt that he is going to Afghanistan in October so we must make the most of our time with him until then.

10 comments:

Raggy said...

Your son deserves the lift home. I hope he passes his driving test. Good luck to him now and in the future. Have a happy family time together.

Lizzie said...

Thanks for your good wishes. He passed his test 2nd time.

Raggy said...

Excellent news Lizzie, I bet you are really proud of him. Give him a pat on the back from me.

Tracey said...

Hope he does well. My son is currently waiting to go to Raleigh after completing the Navy pre-divers course this week. It could be a long wait though ...maybe up to a year even! Not sure why - seems odd to be to pass someone and then tell them they have to wait such a long time. At 22 a year is a long long time. Not to me anymore though sadly! !

Linda said...

Lovely picture Lizzie he is a real pin up

Lizzie said...

I think Will had to wait about 6 months after he had passed his Entrance. Its all to do with waiting lists and places. I think they take only so many of each category. It will be worth the wait.

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello Lizzie
Busy bee then! I hope that he passed his test.
I couldn't make it to Pondbury unfortunately, very disappointed!!! Was it good? I am dtermined to get to the next one. I like Dorchester too as I went to school (St. Genevieve's convent which is no longer there) there for just over a year.
Love your bluebell photos!
Take care
Isabelle x

Lizzie said...

Sorry you coldn't make it Isabelle. You missed a treat for sure. Will passed his test 2nd time. Has to do car and trailer next!!!!!!!!! That bluebell wood was just like fairyland. Try to come to Calne in June if you need an invitation let me know.

Donna said...

What a lovely Granny you are Lizzie but I a so glad for all of you that he passed his test 2nd time round and you will not have to do that again, it's quite a trip!

Was so great to see you on Wednesday. Poundbury was lovely x

OhSoVintage said...

I know Culdrose well. My father was there in the 50s and I met my husband when he was stationed there in 1976. We lived in Helston and Porthleven and my mother still lives in Helston. She also used to have a regular stall at the fleamarket in Truro in the late 70s and 80s, also an antique shop in Mullion. All the best to your grandson with his naval career.
Ruth