Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Petworth House

Last Saturday I was at my local regional Quilters Guild Day at Sturminster Marshall where I had been invited to take my personal collection of Antique Costume to show them. It was a great day with lots of trade stands to browse and purchase yet more fabric from! The speaker in the morning session was Susan Chapman whose work I have always admired as well as her no-nonsense approach to things. She had brought plenty of her things for us to see and gave a very interesting and informative talk about her work and methods. My slot was in the afternoon and I think I managed to keep everyone interested and entertained. We packed up at about 4 p.m. and I then loaded my car and set off for Petworth in Sussex. I was going to join Linda there where she had a stand at the Costume and Textile Fair being held there in Marquees in the grounds. It was quite a long drive made longer by a few of my detours!!!!!! but I arrived about 6.30 p.m. just in time for a large glass of red wine and an excellent meal.
We were staying at the Horseguards Inn at Tillington. Such a lovely place, run by young people who were the most charming hosts. The room was beautiful and spotlessly clean and the food and service excellent. It deserves 5*****. If you are ever in the vicinity it is well worth going to have a look. They are very green and have their own chickens for eggs, make their own marmalade, grow their own herbs and veg. Quite something.
Petworth House is a delight and the grounds are beautifully kept. We had our own little tented village with a Deli Bar and a Jazz Band. The weather was scorching and it got so hot in our Marquee that I had to shed some layers and ended up wearing one of our dyed linen shifts!
The business was good and we sold a lot of our French linen which is excellent news as it means we have to go back and get some more!!
Horseguards Inn, Tillington.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I always look forward to your blogs! re visiting the good times we have.
can I have a copy of that picture please it is rather better than most of me!

BusyLizzie said...

That looked fab, and great piccies too!
Lizzie xxx