Monday, 12 October 2009

First Tour


This is my eldest Grandson with his Grandad all ready to go back to Base and make ready for Afghanistan. Everyone put on a brave face for him except myself. I wasn't there as I was working and that was a blessing in disguise. If I had been there I would probably have started his mother off as well!! She did very well to keep control of her emotions and not blub all over him. He hates it!!!! We are now all counting the days until he is home again. Hopefully in time for his Christmas dinner! His is only a short trip this time but he will be there again next year. He is an adventurer and we as a family have to get used to the fact that he will always put himself up for front line. It is what he has been trained for and what he wants to do - it is hard for those who love him to see him off. I passed them on the road on my way back from Shepton Mallet which is an other story.

The day started early and was dry. Weather forecast was promising. Linda and I had an outside stand so took the Gazebo and tarpaulin. We set up in the dry, feeling pleased with ourselves that we had gone prepared. We had breakfast, did some business and then it started. A fine misty drizzle that gets everywhere. Then the wind got up and that did it. The Gazebo took off but was saved by being tied down to Frieda the Volvo. It was resting upside down on the roof of the car!!!!! We managed to get it down to ground level again for a little while but it went again and this time was done for. We decided to pack up and go home. First we had to collapse the Gazebo which was not easy as it had become twisted so we had to enlist the help of the Security staff at the site!! All the time this was going on everything was uncovered and was getting wet. All our lovely textiles, vintage clothes, lace, buttons, haberdashery got soaked. The men took away the remains of the Gazebo to the dump and then to add insult to injury the wind took the clothes rail and everything went down in to what was by now mud!!!!!!!!! All the beautiful laundered white baby gowns and victorian underwear all wet and muddy as well as a gorgeous 1960's designer suit and 1920's black velvet jackets. Oh my word, what a test for the sense of humour!! Now the work starts; it is three weeks until our next Fair and everything must be ready to go out again. My worst job will be to salvage all my beautiful buttons and resew them on to new cards. Not what I had anticipated having to do at all as I still have curtains to make for the living room, and some new stock items for the Christmas Fairs. Oh well, no peace for the wicked - I don't think I shall ever attone for my sins, or is it all the mirrors I have broken????????????????

7 comments:

Hens Teeth said...

Oh dear, I am so sorry, how perfectly miserable for you. Such a lot of hard work...boy, doesn't the weather make or break these events.

Linda said...

Oh Lizzie !!! we will all be thinking of our own hero.
When everything is descending into chaos it is good to have a mate .xxLinda

Hens Teeth said...

Lizzie, I didn't mention your Grandson in my previous comment, but I just wanted to say.... what a handsome young man, of whom you must be so proud. x

Lizzie said...

Thanks girls for your comments. We are all very proud of Will and yes he is handsome!

Vintage to Victorian at Dairy House Antiques said...

Oh Lizzie, what a disaster. As for having to re-sew all those buttons onto card ... and all the lovely linens ... if you and Linda managed to retain a sense of humour through all that I think you deserve medals!

We shall all be waiting for news that your lovely grandson is back home again in time for Christmas. You must be very proud indeed.

Sue x

OhSoVintage said...

Oh my goodness, what a disaster! You and your family must be incredibly proud of your grandson.

Lizzie said...

Yes it was a bit of a disaster. Not too much damage, just a lot of washing and cleaning. Yes we are very proud of Will and are busy getting a parcel ready for him.