Saturday, 3 October 2009

Napoleonics at Kingston Maurward.

There are times when getting up at 5 a.m. to get in the car and drive for miles to work is a chore but not today. I was up at 5 a.m. but only had to drive 8 miles to Dorchester and today was one of the days I loved my job as I was heading to the Internation Napoleonic Living History Fair at Kingston Maurward House in Dorchester. When I arrived the camps were still sleeping in readiness for a busy day of drills and battles or from over-indulgence in the Beer Tent the previous evening!!
I was the first Trader to arrive in my Hall and I quietly and leisurely set up my stall as I had three and a half hours to do so. I was more or less finished by 8.30 a.m. so made my way to the Restaurant and had a full English breakfast!!! Well it was going to be a long day and as I was on my own I was not sure I would be able to get away from my stall for Lunch.!!
I was pleased with the way it looked and was looking forward to an interesting day. I wasn't to be disappointed.
Soon people from differentt walks of life began drifting in to have a look around before the activities started. A few of my readers may know that I am a sucker for a uniform and there were plenty of those about today. No Sean Bean but you can't have everything.!!
The photograph above shows my favourites of the day. The lady was my first customer and was lovely and I admired her Revolution type costume (it must be the stripes). Then her husband arrived before I knew he was her husband, if you know what I mean! It was the blue ticking patches on his knees that made me think they were a couple. The other gentleman was a friend of theirs . Last but not least the photograph below shows my lovely little friend Natalie.
I have known Natalie since she had just left School. She came to work in my shop and got hooked on Antique Textiles and Costume and went on to take a Degree in Costume for the Stage and Screen at Bournemouth Arts Institute. After she graduated she went to London to work at the Rose Bruford College of Performing Arts and was there for quite a few years. She is a member of the Napoleonic Association and now is in business for herself making historical uniform and costume for Re-enactors, the National Trust and private individuals. She makes the most exquisite things for herself and others and works very hard. I am very fond of her. Take a look at her Blog www.fichuhistoricalclothinganduniforms.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Fichu1800 said...

Thank you Liz for the lovely comments. It was great to be at an event together. I love my beautiful 18th century buttons for the pelisse!!!