Tuesday, 6 April 2010
Breakthrough at Quilt Museum
I made this quilt by first painting up a board in acrylic paints, layin g the colour down to create an impression of the photograph of the Fleet. I then made a monoprint on to the background fabric. When this was dry I added strips of torn fabrics, both sheer and hand dyed. I had previously painted up a piece of 'Bondaweb' in the same way as the monoprint and when I had finished adding all my strips to the monoprint and the Bondaweb was dry I ironed it all over the surface therefore transferring the paint and securing all the strips. This was the first time I had used this technique and I loved the result. The next step was to make the quilt sandwich and do the machine quilting.
I haven't managed to get the photographs in the right order but I think you can get the idea of the process.
Having the freedom to work like this and still come within the bounds of quilting is one of the reasons I so much enjoy bing a part of the Contemporary Quilt Group. I am always pushed for time when I decide to produce something to a deadline and beat myself up all the time about not giving myself enough time to plan things properly incase thins go wrong and I have to start again.!! However, if I do too much thinking before starting to do things, I go off the idea and think of something else so I usually start to do and think along the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!