Saturday, 12 June 2010

CATCHING UP


Quite a lot has happened since my last post about Petworth House Antique Textile Fair.  We had the Poundbury Textile Fair here on our own doorstep on 2nd June and then on Thursday 3rd June Linda and I went on a coach trip to the Quilt Exhibition at the V & A Museum in London.  It was a fabulous exhibition and we had a lovely day.  The weather was fabulous so after we had finished in the Museum we went outside and sat  in the sun and had a cup of tea in the Museum garden while we were waiting for the coach home.


At the beginning of the month I set all my things up in 'The Full Gamut Gallery' in Weymouth for Dorset Art Weeks.  It is a delightful little place, light and airy and serves the most wicked coffee and cakes.  Kimberley the owner is an Artist and was also showing some of her work.  The other exhibitor with us was Gill Smeulders who makes the most fabulous jewellery from buttons and bead, vintage, hand made ceramic and fair trade.  I managed to get the second of my 'Chesil' Quilt/Wallhangings finished in time for the opening.  This second one is sister to the one that is currently on show at the Contemporary Quilt Group Exhibition at the Quilt Museum in York.  The photographs are not in the correct order again.  I just don't seem to be able to get the hang of it.!!  Last Wednesday I spent the day with some friends dyeing fabric.  Again it was a beautiful day and the setting was more than fabulous.  We were at Dell's farm house.  The farm - East Fleet Farm - is situated according to its name right on the Fleet Lagoon.  Winter or Summer, all kinds of weather, it is a truly inspirational place and it must be so amazing to wake up every day and look out of the window and see endless sky and shimmering sea.  These lovely black and white boys were very interested in what we were doing.  You can see the Fleet Lagoon and the Chesil Bank behind them.  Of all the places to spend time growing up before ending up on someone's plate this must be the best one.  Small consolation perhaps but far better than being in a barn or some crowded yard.  It is the quality of life that is important and theirs is A1.
 We produced many, many different fabrics.  These were in preparation for the Alicia Merrett workshop at Hardy Quilters on 21st June.  The last two photographs are some of the things I had displayed at the Gallery for Art Weeks.  The first one being the second 'Chesil' Quilt/Wallhanging.  So now I have caught up with what I have done for the last three weeks I am getting ready to go to Milan on Monday for the Exhibition I have been waiting for ages.  I am so excited.  I have never been to Italy before and I know I am going to love it.  The exhibition is of authentic Napoleonic fashion.  All from a private collection.  I can't wait to see it all.  Goose bump time again.  I will take loads of photographs and share them with you.

No comments: