Monday, 2 August 2010

CATCHING UP

I can't believe it is over one month since I added to this Blog.  So much seems to have happened in all areas of my life.  My second Grandson had his 18th birthday at the beginning of July and from then on the month just disappeared.  There were two Textile Fairs, one at Bradford on Avon and then the big Fair at Ardingly after that on the work front was the Vintage Market at Bridport on the last Sunday of July.   






I had been looking forward all month to going to Cowslip Workshops for the Charlotte Yde 'Series' workshop.  This happened to coincide with my birthday on the 30th July.  This was the first time I had been away from my home and family for my birthday but at my age now birthdays are just another day in my life and I was looking forward to being in different surroundings doing something I love doing so this was my treat to myself.!!  I wasn't disappointed.  My birthday was on the first day of the three day course and when our afternoon tea arrived so did a Birthday cake cooked that day by lovely Vicky who cooks with Andrew in the restaurant.  In the evening I had supper in the Restaurant with Jo and Stephen the hosts at Cowslip and Charlotte and her husband.  I am not sure how to spell his name so will add it later!!!!  They, like me , love Cowslip Workshops and everything about it and combine pleasure with work when they are there.  Jo is such a wonderful hostess and looks after everyone so well.  The workshop was great fun and I met some more lovely people, all from different walks of life but with one common denominator, quilting and textiles.  I managed to get three pieces for my series started but not finished!  I just have the stitching to do which will completely change the way they look but enhance it and bring it all together.  I find this bit quite scary and am loathe to start.  As I have no deadline for these pieces I am going to take my time to work out just the right quilting designs for these contemporary pieces.  I have used some of my own hand dyed fabrics and some of Polly Lyster's naturally dyed fabrics.  I have been collecting up Polly's bags of scraps for a while now and have a huge colour palette selection as well as lots of lovely different textures of linens and hemps.  I had just the right colours for my sand, rocks and dunes that are in all three of my pieces.  It may be a while before I get the time to finish what I have started as Linda and I are off to Cornwall for HOMESPUN on 8th August, then its Honiton Textile Fair on the 10th, a buying trip to France the following week-end and then,  wonder of wonders!!!!!!!!! - FESTIVAL OF QUILTS ........at the NEC.

Just a final word on Cowslip, when we left on Sunday an Exhibition  of Charlotte's work was being hung in the Barn.  Jo has after a long period of negotiations!!!! been given permission to use one of the old Barns for things like exhibitions and when Charlotte saw it she fell in love with it and asked to have her quilts hung in there.  We had a sneak preview and they do look wonderful against the ancient stone walls.  The building isn't entirely finished yet but it is wonderful, built in 1844 it is a delight - so if you feel like treating yourself to a fantastic day out go to Cowslip Workshops, St. Stephens, Launceston, Cornwall.  Charlotte's Exhibition opens today and there is also an Exhibition of Jo's students' work running at the same time in the Workshop.  Full details can be found on the website.  The links are in my sidebar.  Scroll down to 'Interesting and Useful Links' and you will find both Charlotte and Cowslip.

4 comments:

Julie Shackson said...

I love your series. The layers are so simple, yet very evocative. I can smell the sea air!

Lizzie said...

Thank you Julie. I am glad you like my series. I love the sea, it is a costant source of inspiration to me. I haven't done any more to my pieces since I came home, have been too busy working. I will post pictures when they are finished.

Charlotte said...

Dear Liz,
Suddenly stumbled over this and it brought back wonderful memories from Cowslip Workshops. I do hope to see you finished pieces some day - enjoyed seeing your quilt at the Festival of Quilts and hope to see you again somewhere …
Charlotte

Lizzie said...

Thank you Charlotte. It was a privilege to be at your Workshop and I had a wonderful three days. I haven't finished my pieces yet!! If you are back at Cowslip next year I hope to see you again. x