Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Food for Thought!

Words have always had a profound effect on me even though I am not a great reader.  I was as a child but that changed when I was at Grammar School. I found the books we were set to read in English Lit. difficult to get into and boring most of the time and therefore didn't do my homework !!!  I used to fly by the seat of my pants and read a few paragraphs before class. I found it impossible to make myself spend time reading something that  did not interest me. This has stayed with me to this very day.  I know almost immediately I start reading a book whether or not I am going to finish it.  If it doesn't get me in the first chapter then I can put it down and not pick it up again.  On the other hand if it does get me then I will become totally anti-social and read until it is finished.   This week while reading my local paper and checking out the Birth, Marriages and Deaths colums I was captured by an anonymous entry in the Memoriums column.  Without meaning to be morbid I am writing it here as I am curious to know about the Author.  Was it written by a published author or was it written by just someone with a way with words ........  does anyone know??

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; sunward I've climbed and joined in the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds  -
and done a hundred things you have not dreamed of ........."
Simple words that convey so much feeling.

2 comments:

Liz Plummer said...

The wonders of Google .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gillespie_Magee,_Jr.

It's a lovely phrase, isn't it? Love the background of your blog, by the way! I usually read it in Google Reader so haven't seen it before!

Lizzie said...

Thanks Liz. I hadn't got around to Googling - should have been my first reaction. The phrase just stuck with me until I had to write it down to get it out of my head!!!!!!!!! I know I'm bonkers!! will have a look at wikipedia.