Friday, 31 December 2010

END OF ANOTHER YEAR

These are the last four Journal Quilts for 2010.  I have been making these now for four years . I like working in this small format as it gives the opportunity to experiment with different techniques and materials.  I am usually playing catch up but I get there in the end.  I always tend to use my own hand dyed fabrics and more often than not I get out the paints.  I wonder what the format will be for next year?  I have been thinking of ways to store all these little quilts and I have decided that I will turn each year into book form.  I love making books and sketchbooks and have already decided that I will get my extensive Family History research into book form.  This is going to be my number one project for 2011.  I have been thinking about it for a long time now and as I have decided to cut back on my 'day job' I shall hopefully have more time.

  This last year has been a very busy year and there have been times when I have been totally exhausted to the point of being im-mobile with all the travelling and packing and unpacking of cars and vans.  This has led me to take stock of my life and to decide that \I need to spend more time doing the things I have previously not had time for!!  I won't be giving up my Antique Textile life entirely, next year's Diary is almost half full already.!  I plan to spend more time on my website and to try to make that work more efficiently.  My plan is to build up a resource for other dealers, designers, textile artists.  The 'vintage' look is still big on the high street and one of the things I enjoy most is touring the fashion stores to see the end results.  One of the areas that fascinates me most is the colour prediction.  Over the last few years I have built up a customer base consisting of designers from all over the world.  I love watching them select articles from my stock and watch the colour palette grow.  Sometimes it amazes me that they have found such a wealth amongst  my stock.  When these things are spread around in various different boxes and containers they are lost but along comes someone with the right 'eye' who quite quickly gathers them all together and makes splendid concoction. This has prompted me to start colour co-ordinated boxes to make things a little easier for my designer customers and also make a pleasing display for my table.Yesterday I went into Debenhams to have a look at the sales, unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me, but I spotted one of these concoctions in the exact colour palette that I have been selling for most of the year.!  Seeing these colours turned into perfectly co-ordinated T-shirts, knitwear, skirts, scarves is to say the least very satisfying and I think one of the perks of the job.!!

On the family front this has been a challenging year for all of us with illnesses, redundancies, divorce, and two trips to Afghanistan for my eldest Grandson.  However, through it all we have remained a united front and managed to get through it stronger and a little wiser.  My daughter faces major surgery on her injured back next year as this is the only option now, hopefully this will be a new start for her once she has recovered.

Yesterday we said Goodbye to an old friend and local character.  I had known him since I was a child growing up in the Town Centre where his parents ran a notorious public house!   He was older than I so we were not playmates or anything like that.  In 1959 he took over the tenancy of a public house of his own and was to stay there for 40 years.  He became the youngest Landlord in the area.  His pub soon became very popular and very busy, he had previously been a merchant seaman and had worked on the local cross channel ferries.  As it was situated quite near to where we live it became our 'local' in the 1970's.  It was at this pub that the craze for New Year's Eve Fancy Dress began, although I never actually saw him dressed up at all!!, maybe a moustache pencilled on his top lip!!!!!   
He had a wicked sense of humour and infectious laugh and will be remembered with much fondness by a lot of people.  He planned his funeral about 3 years ago, with his favourite 'pop' music interspersed with hymns with a sea theme.  The final musical rendition at the Crematorium  being 'Smoke gets in your Eyes' by the Platters. !!
RIP Mickey - Once met never Forgotten .





2 comments:

Linda said...

Great Blog Lizzie and beautifully written.
Glad I will still have your company for a selection of events, it. would not be the same after all these years traveling together.
You have a wealth of talent to share go for it Girl
Happy New Year love Linda xx

Lizzie said...

Thanks Linda! Happy New Year to you too.xx