Thursday, 2 December 2010

SNOW AND DYEING = SNOW DYEING!

This was the view from my window this morning.  We had had snow fall overnight.  Being by the sea the rest of the country seems to get it before us.  As picturesque as it is I hate it.  Everything grinds to a halt and as we live at the top of a very steep hill we are virtually marooned until it decides to thaw.

There has been a lot of talk recently on the CQ yahoo site about snow dyeing and this seemed like an ideal opportunity to have a go.  Below are photographs of the fabrics squashed into colanders, covered with snow and dye poured on top.  These are then left until the snow has melted through the fabric and taken the dye with it.






If the colanders are placed in a container to collect the snow melt dye it can be used again by adding a little salt solution and soda ash solution.  Tomorrow I will take pictures of the fabric results.  If I say it myself they are looking good.

4 comments:

tracey @ the vintage bothy said...

sounds very complicated, lucky you to get the snow, I always wonder why it can't just fall on the grass?!
T x

Lizzie said...

It's not too complicated. I usually forget the proper way and make it up as I go along!!!!!!!!! Snow all gone now, been raining all day and night. Didn't we have a great day on Monday. Hope you are rested and recuperated. See you soon . Lxx

Gunnels blog said...

You have a beautiful bog! Thank you for adding me as contact at Linked in, I have forgotten I was there ;-)

BusyLizzie said...

That looks amazing lizzie! Have been snowed in here all weekend. I was very grumpy this morning as I was meant to be driving to London today for a jolly with my brother & his children.. grrrrr. Have recovered my humour by playing with my fabric stash and other distractions all day!! xxx