Wednesday, 19 December 2012

IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME


Lisieux


Chartres



It's been a long time since my last post and just in case you all think I have been in France all this time the answer is No.  We left Ste. Marie aux Mines on the Sunday and started making our way West and North.  One of our stops was at Chartres and we went to have a look at the Cathedral.  There is a huge amount of restoration work going on and some parts of the Cathedral were out of bounds.  Nevertheless it was completely spellbinding.  We passed lots of fields of Sunflowers past their prime but still very decorative.  The weather was still gorgeous and looking back now we were so lucky to have sunshine every day for almost two weeks.  There was a slight blip when we were caught up in the Ferry strike and had to stay with our friends an extra two days.  We finally managed to get a Ferry booking by changing from Britanny Ferries to LD lines but this meant driving to Le Havre instead of Caen.  We set off for Le Havre on another beautiful day and were looking forward to a change of route.  We stopped at Lisieux for lunch very close to the Basilica.   We didn't have time to go inside this time but took some pictures and carried on with our journey.    We were treated very well by LD lines but it does not have the sophistication of Brittany Ferries.  It was a very good trip again and we managed to buy some very interesting things.  The quilt show was amazing made even more enjoyable by meeting up with old friends .  We have already started planning our next big trip.   This time in April and will include a visit to Nantes to the stitchcraft show held there every year - ' Pour L'Amour du Fil'.
After a short rest - I was exhausted when I got home from France - it was back to work.  I had a stand at the lovely Country House Vintage Fair at Arlington Court, North Devon, at the beginning of November.  It was a lovely day and  I was happy to be back in Devon.  The week-end was made all the more pleasurable by my staying with my friend  Loveday at her house in Appledore.  Ten days later Linda and I set off for Cornwall to Cowslip Workshops for the Christmas Craft Fair.  This is always a lovely weekend - combining business with pleasure. 
And here we are now a few days from Christmas!   I seem to have some sort of foul virus.  One minute I am alright and the next I feel like death. I still have lots to do to get ready for Christmas Day.  There will be eight of us for  Lunch so I hope it goes away soon. 
Thanks to all my followers for bothering to read my ramblings and I wish everyone a very Happy and Peaceful Christmas and a  Healthy New Year.
Our first Fair of 2013 is on 5th February 2013 at the Makarness Hall, Honiton, Devon.


No comments: